I’ll admit it. I’ve been using my Samsung Galaxy S8 almost exclusively for photos while I travel and before that, I was using my Galaxy S6 Edge. I haven’t always been a phone as camera guy. I was a big fan of the Nikon Coolpix in it’s various incarnations since 2006 and really enjoyed the ease of use and the quality of the pictures.
My most recent Coolpix met an untimely death during a photo shoot at work, one of my employees didn’t affix it properly to the tripod and it fell, smack on the lens, destroying my workhorse of a camera. That specific camera had traveled with me to Peru, Bolivia, Austria, France, you name it was with me.
I need some guidance on what point-and-shoot camera I should get? Here’s what I’m looking for, in general:
- Digital Camera – I love film, but I’m not able to take the time to handle that now.
- Portable, ideally something that can fit in the pocket of my jeans (I’m not a skinny jeans guy, so don’t worry about that), but barring that, something that is lightweight and easy to carry. I will eventually move into the DSLR world, but I’m not looking for that right now.
- Must have at least 1080p video capabilities.
- I’d prefer something with a standard charger – I’ve been burned too many times by forgetting my special camera battery charger. GRRR.
- I’ll be using it to photograph every day life and when I travel. I’ll be snapping pix of beautiful landscapes, architecture, food and airline seats.
- Some of these versions have pretty awful placement of flashes or flash sensors – so it needs to be a logical design.
What do you use? What’s the one thing you love most about it and what is the one thing you hate the most? Do you think I should just stick with my Samsung Galaxy S8 phone?