As you know we are spending some time in Myanmar this month. To get there we decided to cash in some United miles and fly Business Class from Chicago to Yangon via Taipei and Bangkok. For the longest leg of the trip we took EVA, with their amazing Royal Laurel Business Class product. A full review will be coming out soon, but I wanted to kick out my initial thoughts.
- The timing is wonderful. Leaving after midnight and landing in Taipei the next morning was great. You board, eat, drink, sleep, repeat and land in early in the morning in Asia and can hit the ground running.
- The seats are great. Very comfortable and very private. Not great if traveling with someone and you want to spend time actually talking with them. I slept for about 9 hours on the 15 hour flight. 6 or so hours right in a row.
- The food was good, not stellar, but definitely a higher end, solid business class meal. EVA was better than Lufthansa, but not as good as Austrian or Asiana.
Breakfast of veggie omelette and grilled tomato.
- The service was interesting. I love how they would leave you alone, but within 5 seconds of you pressing the call button, they were there, ready, willing and able to help. During meal service the stews seemed to keep running into each other. A little Keystone cops at some points.
- Take this flight. Just take it. It delivers on so many levels and is really one of the best options from Chicago to Asia in Business Class.
Have you flown EVA? Did you fly up front or in the back? What did you think of the total product?