Tomato Chutney? I don’t exactly know what a chutney is nor do I know how it differs from a relish. What I do know is that I love tomatoes and at the end of the day, this recipe was GREAT!
Let’s start with the basics – the ingredient list:
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes (I used yellow cherry tomatoes)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- Peel the tomatoes by filling a saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Place the cherry tomatoes in the boiling water and cook until the skin of the tomatoes start to split. Once split, remove the tomatoes and plunge into a bowl filled with ice water. Remove the split skin and put the tomato flesh in a bowl and discard (compost) the skins.
- Blend (or mash with a fork) the tomatoes with ginger and garlic.
- Place the tomato mixture, sugar, golden raisins, onions and vinegar in a large sauce pan. Season with the remaining ingredients and heat until nicely thickened — about 30 minutes.
- Let cool briefly and refrigerate for a few hours (this can be refrigerated for a few weeks if in an airtight container.